Varieties of hosting services
A hosting service appertains to hoarding and/or sharing given web content on a web hosting server hosted by a web hosting company. There are various kinds of hosting services used for various aims, so let's explore these. In that way, you can conclude what you need, based on whether you'd like to run a web site, mail address accounts, or to share files with chums and associates.
- File hosting: a solution furnished by certain companies, which permits you to share huge files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only function is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine an index of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file storage accounts are frequently supported by showing adverts by the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a certain amount of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file storage plan, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no restriction with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a totally untrue interpretation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would divide the tasks at hand between independent bunches of hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending various hosting services (mail, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is just a brand of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; certain vendors offer a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting kind is good if you wish to share a large quantity of pics with chums or colleagues since the solution is commonly free. You will get a randomly generated link for each and every picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution committed to managing your email addresses. Some corporations offer hosting services for websites, but do not provide an email service. If you would like to have an email address with your domain name but do not want to have a site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you want. You can create mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a particular video, or you can embed the video clip in your site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of utilizing this method instead of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video file produces a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with several videos and a few hundred visitors, you may have a problem with your hosting supplies. Embedding the video will allow you to run as many video files as you want without hassling about system supplies.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to have a web site. To a certain extent, it embodies all of the aforesaid hosting varieties since, along with your web sites, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and e-mailbox accounts, upload videos, and so on. At TechNE, for instance, you can have a peek at web hosting and dedicated server hosting plans that allow you to have all of the abovementioned services in one single place. There may be limits depending on the type of hosting solution that you've picked - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting account may be better or worse compared to the standard e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are made for particular content solely.